A visit to the dentist for many people is an anxiety-inducing process; however, making a trip to the dentist chair is something everyone needs to, and being able to confront your fears and get any dental treatment you may need will help you to make sure your oral health is in great shape.
Sedation dentistry can offer patients a worry-free experience during their visit for a wide range of dental procedures.
What is Sedation Dentistry?
Sedation dentistry is when sedatives are used during your visit to your dental care provider in Hamilton, Ohio, Sedation dentistry so you don’t need to be awake. Three different types of sedation can be used: minimal, moderate, and deep sedation. You can opt for sedation for various procedures from routine dental cleaning to tooth extraction, root canal, X Rays, and more.
Sedation dentistry is different to local anesthesia, when an injection, or gel is applied directly to an area in the mouth to numb it.
What Type of Sedation Dentistry in Ohio Are Available?
There are 4 ways that sedation can be administered to a patient;
- Inhaled Minimal Sedation (using nitrous oxide) – A mixture of nitrous oxide or ‘laughing gas’ and oxygen is given to the patient via a mask over your nose. You can inhale the gas. How much sedation you will receive will be carefully administered and controlled by your dentist.
- Oral Sedation – Oral sedation is your dentist giving you a sedative to take orally before your procedure, usually around an hour before it occurs. This type of sedation will make you drowsy, and the dosage will depend on if you need minimal or moderate sedation and will be confirmed by your dentist.
- Intravenous Moderate Sedation (IV) – A sedative will be administered by directly injecting into your vein to provide a deeper sedative than the previous two alternatives.
- Deep Sedation/General Anesthesia – Deep sedation requires you to be given medication that will put you in a deep sleep for your dental procedure and require recovery time afterward.
The Benefits of Sedation Dentistry in Hamilton, Ohio
Sedation dentistry is a safe and effective method that dentists use to help put their patients at ease and allow for a smoother, more calm experience at the dentist.
If you are worried about your visit to the dentist, don’t delay discussing your fears with them and allow them to discuss the different ways they can assist you during your visit for sedation dentistry in Ohio such as;
- A more seamless, worry-free experience
- A positive visit that can encourage you to visit more often
- Advice on the different options available to those wanting to receive sedation
- Anxiety relief dung the procedure.
Who is Suitable for Sedation Dentistry?
Sedation dentistry isn’t just for those who have dental anxiety, and many different people can opt for choosing to be sedated for their dental work, including;
- Those who can’t sit still in the dentist chair, including children
- People with sensitive gums or teeth
- Have a low pain threshold
- Require a lot of dental work at once
If you require any more information on the sedation options available at Hamilton Riverside Dentistry and how we can help make your next visit a positive one, contact us today at (513) 868-0200 to allow our qualified and experienced team to discuss your options with you so you can receive the best dental care for you needs.